Monday, June 26, 2017

Any advice for taking a road test in NY with a stick shift?


Before anyone says something like, "Just do it with an automatic.", I can't. I lost my license due to a DWI and had to start over with the whole permit, test process. I am also mandated to drive my car with an interlock. So for my road test, I have to drive a stick-shift with an interlock device that goes off every 10-15 minutes or so. I don't have any other choice.With that said, I've been driving manual for years now, but I have never really down-shifted when driving. I have been coasting to a stop for years now. So now that I have to start over, has anyone had experience with taking their test in a manual-driven car?What are some tips? Things that they will be looking for?I've heard people say (and it may vary in state and country) that:Do not shift gears during intersections and or turnsDo not coast (Always down-shift when coming to a complete stop)Rolling backwards results in automatic failureStalling results in automatic failureSo a few questions, when I stop at a stop sign, am I supposed to put it in neutral and then shift to first? Or can I stop at the stop sign, leave it at first?Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also, not that it matters but I have been sober for 3 years now and I am finally getting my life back on the road, hopefully.TLDR: Need advice driving stick shift for driving test in NY via /r/cars http://ift.tt/2sIv6lt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts