Sunday, June 25, 2017

Aftermarket oil cooler hose blew off on my S2K, engine seized, help with next steps? [South Bay, SF area]


ContextI was on a track in driving in 114 degree weather in my S2K. I was monitoring my temps (about 250-260F). After a crest, I felt like I had no power. I looked in my rear view and saw I was laying down a smoke screen. Immediately pulled over and turned the car off. Car ran for 6-7 seconds upon me discovering that there was oil blowing out.What I did after car diedAfterwards, I tried to start the car 2 times because I was on grass and there was tons of smoke around me, leading me to get ready to jump out in case it all caught fire. Car would not start in those two times, and the cranking sounded very faint/weak - leading me to believe I had seized my engine. My battery is perfectly strong.Quick and inconclusive post mortemWe later found that one of the socketless hoses for my oil cooler that I had installed had BLOWN off the fitting on the sandwich plate. This dumped all my oil. My coolant, however, is full and not mixed with oil, it seems. I did not let the car overheat.Yes, it is ironic that my reliability mod killed me. These were highly recommended from a number of sources. I'm going to get in touch with all the vendor + manufacturing companies to let them know of this incident. This kit had parts curated mostly by myself and a parts list from Rob Robinette's site - this was not faulty eBay parts or anything. This was just, IMO, really poor design. I suggest everyone who's on socketless hoses to switch to socketed hoses. For those who don't want to do that, at least worm clamp your hoses. At least this would allow the oil to squirt out a bit, instead of blowing the entire hose off immediately. The hose I used was rated for -40F to +300F and up to 250PSI. It was designed for oils.Current statusAnyways, the car has been towed to a shop in East Bay in California. This shop is not equipped to deal with S2000s and I've already used AAA to help me with 2 tows at this point. I did not have the tow mileage I wanted to get the shops I wanted to have look at my cars - and both shops told me they had no space and wouldn't take my car on a Sunday. I'm not sure if this meant rejecting me parking my car in their lot or not, but I just took it as, "if you do park it here, we will tow it away".Please help me with some questions, and suggest things to me if you can!1) Where can I find cheap towing companies or cheaper towing solutions? Car cannot move on its own power. Also, if a shop says it's available in 1-2 weeks, then where can I store my car in the meanwhile? It logistically takes one tow to get the car from the current shop to a storage location, and requires another tow to go from the storage to the destination shop. Car is currently in Hayward.2) What shops in the South Bay are reputable and equipped to work with engines? The two shops I mentioned already are Blacktrax and Elite Performance. I will have to get in touch with them to get more detail from them with regards to my options. Justin from Rockstar Garage has reached out to me as well (I've bought a lot of stuff from him), and he's been really nice. However, he's located in SoCal which means I'd have to pay an additional x amount to ship the car down to SoCal. I've never shipped a car before, so this is a whole new beast to me. I've no idea what it entails.3) What are my options for the worst case scenarios? Stroke the motor? K swap? Replace with another F22? via /r/cars http://ift.tt/2tKpFAP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts