Saturday, July 8, 2017

Discount Tire Direct wouldn't sell me tires for my NSX because they can't math


I needed new tires for my NSX and decided to take advantage of Discount Tire Direct's July 4th sale.I was able to place my order for the tires that I wanted (BFG g-Force Sport Comp-2) through their web site, however the next day DTD contacted me to tell me that they won't sell me those tires because the load index for the front tires (83) doesn't match that of the original stock tires (which had a load index of 86), and insisted it would be unsafe to use on my car. They tried to push me into purchasing all season tires (with a higher load index) instead, which made no sense given that I live in a dry climate and only drive my NSX in sunny weather.I spoke to a couple of reps, and they wouldn't budge on their position. They even provided this as proof: http://ift.tt/2sYQDmR, my NSX curb weight is around 3000 lbs, and its weight distribution is 42/58 (%F/R) due to it being a mid-engine car. Even if I were to use all four tires with a load index of 83 (ignoring the fact that my rear wheels are larger and require bigger tires with a higher load index--specifically 91 for the tires that I wanted to purchase), those tires can support around 4000 lbs.In the end, I called Tire Rack and explained my situation, and they had no problem selling me the tires I wanted. They seemed much more knowledgeable, and their prices beat Discount Tire Direct as well. It's bizarre that Discount Tire was impossible to deal with, and they kept insisting that what I wanted to do was unsafe. The reps were telling me absurd things like "I have to share the road with you, and I don't want you endangering my family", and "we are the foremost experts in tires, so we'll never sell you tires below your vehicle manufacturer specifications." It was such a crazy experience, I've never gone through anything like it (at one point I invited them to report me to the authorities if they believed what I wanted to do was illegal).TL;DR: Dealt with incompetence at Discount Tire Direct, went with Tire Rack instead. via /r/cars http://ift.tt/2tsWN1N

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts