Wednesday, June 21, 2017

I'm terrified to work under my car. I feel like it is largely irrational, but I've still got cold feet. Thoughts? Advice?


So, my Stealth has an oil pan dent that needs to go. She's been on jacks most of the time I've had her. But I have never had her this high off the ground before (I just borrowed a bigger jack from my buddy, my [four of them] 2-ton duralast jacks are maxed out for height) and I've never done work with my entire body under the car. I've also never dealt with maintenance that takes this much force and weight (driveshaft, exhaust, transfer case, starter, frame crossmember, and various brackets) to be removed from the car. I'm literally afraid to touch my car with more than my fingers on the underside for fear of upsetting the balance and bringing it down on top of me. I've worked under cars as a teen, but they were nearly seven feet off the ground on massive hydraulic lifts.There is a very nice writeup on how to lift my specific vehicle with double the jacks, but I still feel as though the car could slant off to one side and fall. There's another method that uses ramps, but I feel as though I won't get the necessary clearance to fit both myself and all the components I'm removing.Did you guys ever feel this way? How did you overcome it? Here's a few pics of my setup and the dent via /r/cars http://ift.tt/2tQ8b5s

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts