Monday, July 3, 2017

Just got my uncle's old (2000)pathfinder and have many questions


So I'm 17 and I have just gotten an old 2000 pathfinder and have many questions:1) He smokes and the ash tray was full to the brim as well as cigarette butts everywhere. I have a carpet cleaner and a pretty strong vacuum. Will that be enough to thoroughly clean the carpets and headliner? I've already taken apart the whole center console and gotten out many ashes but I can't actually take out the whole console until I take my seats out and that isn't part of my plans for now(but they have to come out eventually so I can fix some rust spots on the mount.)2) as a follow up question, how do i recolor rubbery-plasticy parts? I took out the small pocket thingy on the door card(I swear it has a name i just dont remember what, the part that's behind the mirrors.) to wash it with isopropyl but that ended up taking out all of the tan and it looks green now. Is there any color matched dye I can buy for this to paint it?3) Rust. This car has been through sandy(brooklyn, their house is like 3 blocks from the marina) and after sandy, everything started rusting. I already had to remove the running boards but I like the look more without them. I have taken a look at the paint and I see many salt grain sized rusty spots all around the paint. I hope those aren't from the back side because then I'l cry but it looks like it might've been caused by a small pebble hitting the paint all the way through and causing tiny dots of rust. In addition, I know the biggest problem with these cars are fender rust and I know that the fenders have already started rusting, but it's just not visible yet. All I want to do right now is prevent it from spreading and maybe one day I'll weld in a patch panel. What are the best ways to treat rust? IMO corroseal looks the most promising cus then I can just put undercoating over it and call it a day and just check up on it every year.4) Paint. Ooooh boy, the paint on this car feels like sandpaper. My uncle always prided himself in keeping all of his tools and home clean but the paint and trim and stuff is all just a complete mess. I don't have much money to sink into this so I'll probably just clean the car via the chrisfix video and then polish it with a crappy ryobi rotary polisher($25 used, i can't really complain,) because I just know the car is scratched to shit under all the dirt if there is any clear coat left to polish.5) There's an accent piece on all the doors and it seems to have a lot of dirt around it that I doubt a pressure washer will take off, what tool would I use to clean around it?6) Wheels. So first of all, tire recommendations? I know everyone says to always buy good tires and I understand but I don't currently have $5-600 to spend on a set of good tires. How bad are the $80 tires you can buy online at walmart or on ebay? Additionally, the wheels, I assume are aluminum because they have a layer of oxide (I assume, It's white) around the lug nuts. This oxide has caused the clear coat to peel off. Should I clear the oxide and leave the rim bare or cover it with clearcoat again and try to blend them?7) parts. Where do I get parts? everyone recommends rock auto but they really seem to get you with shipping for many parts.8) EDIT: Ooooh ok, a somewhat important one. water at the exhaust tip. I haven't driven the car long and I only noticed this this morning but there is water coming from the exhaust tip. I stupidly touched the tip where water had colleceted forgetting that it could be hot to make sure that it was pure water and it was. What I think is more of a problem is that there is also a water stain on the ground under the muffler too and I think 1 more but i dont remember where. Is this just condensation? Should I worry that I see it a water drip at multiple places?That's basically all of my questions, I'll add stuff if I think of anything but this car is overall just messy. via /r/cars http://ift.tt/2tDFiN7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts