Thursday, July 6, 2017

Has anyone ever bought a car but given the keys to something different? Happened to me, hoping to figure out what to do next.


Hey guys, so I recently bought a used Prius from an actual Toyota dealership. Window sticker and online breakdown of the car showed it was the “Three” trim with all the standard Three trim features - app integration, navigation, voice control, heated mirrors, etc. However, now it’s a few days later and I finally have time to set up the infotainment system when I notice that none of those features actually exist.So I get curious, go on Toyota’s website and plug in my car’s VIN. This isn’t a Prius Three at all, it’s a Two. None of those features show up on the Two, so that explains that. Start worrying that I made a huge financial error and go back over all the paperwork I signed or had access to before I signed (dealer provided spec sheet, online ad) but it all checks out. Under the “trim” section on every page it lists a Prius Three. I called the dealership and they want me to stop by tomorrow to provide the original spec sheet. I wanted to know – has anyone dealt with something similar? How did it go?I’m nervous they’re going to try to fight me on this though it’s clear this is an error on their part. The trim differences between a two and three aren’t that much at first glance, and most of those differences are in the OS that runs the center console so not something I would have noticed immediately (assuming a software update was all it needed).Here’s some other stuff:The VIN on the car I have and the car I have paperwork on match, so it doesn’t look like they gave me the wrong car.The spec sheet and online description showing a Prius 3 both list the same VIN as the car, which is a Prius 2.Another dealership under the same ownership show a $3000 difference between a used Prius Two and Prius Three of the same year and comparable miles.The sales agent pointed the trim level out specifically as a bonus to resell value (so he must have thought it was actually a Three or was reading from the same spec sheet I was).The sales agent and I negotiated a price explicitly in regard to a Prius Three, not Two.At no point before today and on no paper I was given by anyone at the dealership was a Prius Two listed. I’ve double checked so hopefully they can’t say I should have caught the mistake.Bought the car just a few days ago, so it’ not like I’ve been sitting on it for that long. Still has temp tags.As I see it there’s basically four options: 1. They find a similar year and mileage Prius Three to the one should have gotten, we swap and call it even. 2. We renegotiate a new price based on the value of the car I actually left with. 3. Or, they install a new factory radio, backup camera – basically add the missing features I paid for but don’t have. — AND some kind of monetary compensation to account for the eventual lower resell value. 4. Full refund and pretend it never happened.Anyone ever had something similar happen? How did it turn out?People who have worked at dealerships, how much do you expect they’ll fight me on this? I have paperwork to prove my side, but really not looking forward to it. If they refuse to fix the error can I report this to my bank as a fraudulent charge?Tldr: bought one car but drove away with another; looking for next steps via /r/cars http://ift.tt/2tOIupe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts